Monday, April 25, 2005

Is Procrastination Sabotaging Your Business Success?

The other day when riding in my car I almost drove off the road. Here's why:

When driving in my car I usually listen to 1 of 2 things. Either its, 1) the Bruce Springsteen CD that fits my mood for the day, or the CD that will put me in the right frame of mind for the activity I'm soon going to be involved in, or 2) a personal or professional development educational CD to feed my mind with the fuel it needs to grow in areas where I feel I need growth, or to refine something I'm already good at.

The other day I was doing that latter. I was listening to a CD compilation of Napoleon Hill's "Science of Personal Achievement." During one of his workshops he was speaking about the three causes of failure and he listed them as:

1) The inability to get along with others;
2) Quitting right before you are about to have a breakthrough
3) Procrastination!

I've been preaching since opening my coaching practice how dangerous procrastination is, and now, here is one of the founders of the personal/professional development movement of the 20th century backing up my claim! How cool is that?

In my coaching I still find it as one of the key challenges people must overcome. And it rears its ugly head in ways many people don't even realize. Many members of The Achievement Gym come to me because they are not getting the results they want out of their business, but when I mention procrastination, they tell me that's not their problem as they are always moving forward and are active in their business.

And I find that to be true, as I also find to be true that they are not doing the things they MUST do to be successful. Oh, they're doing "things" alright, but they are not doing the things that are most important to creating their business in the most positive manner.

It may be that the owner of a small insurance agency is always out there beating the streets producing for his company, yet he continues to procrastinate on dealing with personnel issues back at the office.

It may be the real estate agent who is busy running all over the county with a prospective buyer, but does so to avoid doing the prospecting and the networking necessary to build the business on the listing side because its the path of least resistance.

Or it may be the small business owner to takes on a lot of major projects and tries to juggle them all and keep them all in the air, moving each one forward at a snail's pace, feeling stressed and burned out all the time, because that's how they get their feeling of "importance," instead of focusing on what's most important to build their business in a more effective manner.

Those are just a few examples of how the habit of procrastination sometimes acts below the surface and sabotages our business without us even knowing it. How might it be a problem for you? What do you want to do about it?

If you'd like help with your habit of procrastination check out - www.EndProcrastinationNOW.com . I'm here to help.

Subscribe to my newsletter...click here!