Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Public Speaking is a MUST

OK, I'm being told by my Program Manager, Jen Haver, that now that I have a blog I have to use it. So here goes...as my coach Chris Barrow says, sometimes you just have to take a leap into the dark...I just hope it's a soft landing...

This morning at my networking group, BNI (short for Business Network International -www.bni.com ), it was time for my 10-minute presentation, which comes up twice a year now that we have about 25 members and meet weekly.

Many people find public speaking, no matter the size of the room or the length of the talk, to be completely debilitating (paralizing). It used to be a huge challenge for me. Because a President/General Manager of 5 different minor league baseball teams, I was getting calls from Civic Clubs all year long to speak at their breakfast, lunches and dinners about their community's professional baseball team.

I found it relatively easy to get up and speak about what I knew about the team, the players, manager and our prospects for the upcoming season, or our performance during or after our season. But to me, it was just the same old stuff and I would just ramble on for 10-15 minutes then open it up to questions. And those, were the easiest for me, as they were always the same questions. But, when I would sit down after the talk, I just felt I didn't have an impact on the audience, and that feeling just continued to reinforce the belief that public speakers were born and not made in my mind. So, for that reason I never would bother preparing for the next talk, I'd get up do my boring song and dance, and leave with the same negative feelings and limited beliefs. That mindset and approach perpetuated for about 18 years, professionally.

Well, now, thanks to my Toastermasters training, and some other follow up coaching I've received, I now do prepare for my talks, and try to personalize them for the group I speak to. Well, it must have worked because after my 10-minute BNI presentation I received many accolades from the group, and had comments from those coming up in the next few weeks, that I had "set the bar real high for them."

While I still believe that some are naturally gifted in the area public speaking, because after all it is "entertainment," or can be in terms of "after dinner" speakers, I believe it is MUST if we are going to be successful in business, and encourage all my clients to improve in this area.

I got my start in public speaking at Toastmasters, and would encourage everyone who has the least bit of trepidation about it, go sample a Toastmasters chapter (www.Toastmasters.org) and get started on becoming comfortable speaking in front of groups, large and small. It's a great place to get your feet wet speaking in the company of others trying to do the same. It s a very safe environment.

It is now the foundation of building my business and attracting prospects for The Achievement Gym, and can do the same for your business. Get out there in a big way! Who knows? You may surprise even yourself and begin to enjoy it!

Subscribe to my newsletter...click here!