Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Communication Must Be Specific

When I'm asked what I believe the most important key to success is, I always answer "specific communication." Think about it. How can you achieve anything, if you don't communicate specifically what it is that you want?

I recently went to buy a new car, and I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. My wife and I were going to our local Toyota dealer to order one of the new Highlander SUV Hybrid vehicles. When we sat down with the salesman, he then brought out the order form, and began asking all sorts of questions - 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?, what color exterior?, what color interior?, stereo with cassette player or CD, or both?, 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder?, sunroof or no sunroof?, cloth seats or heated leather seats?, etc...etc...etc.

I wasn't prepared for that conversation even though I knew what vehicle I wanted to order. Obviously, without that conversation I would be receiving a much different vehicle than I truly wanted, because I originally wasn't nearly specific enough in my mind to get the vehicle I wanted. And, after I left the dealership I realized that the salesman was acting as a "coach" through the ordering process.

So, even I, many times fall back into non-specific communications and have to catch myself. You've probably noticed in your own personal and professional life, how people talk in vague generalities, and wonder why they don't get the results they hope to.

Here's my advice -

If you don't clearly communicate what you want, you ain't gonna get it!

Have you noticed how many people expect you to be a "mind reader?" Begin noticing now how you communicate in delegating a task on the job, or a scheduling situation with your significant other, or maybe how you're communicating with yourself in looking into the future to set some goals to move toward your potential.

Most of the responses I get when I ask people about the outcomes they'd like to achieve is something like this - "well, I'd like to be more focused, and maybe get more things done, and not be as stressed." What people don't understand is that those three things are not specific results and outcomes; they are states of mind and they could have those three things right now if they would just begin to change their focus.

What I'm looking for is the specifics they will be able to achieve when they are more focused, get more things done and are less stressed. I'm looking for more quantifiable and measureable outcomes.

What presents us from communicating specifically? I believe it is FEAR. The fear of being held accountable. The fear of not fulfilling those specific numbers we proclaim. The fear of success if we do achieve those outcomes. The fear of being criticised by those who want to hold us back or don't believe we can do it.

So, remember when you next open your mouth to communicate with the important people in your business or personal life, or the next time you need to focus on the most important outcomes in your personal or professional life - Specifics Are Power!

Subscribe to my newsletter...click here!