Saturday, April 16, 2005

Not Enough Time? Set Better Boundaries - Part 1

These 4 Questions Will Help
The number one issue I hear from my clients and members of the The Achievement Gym Community is they "just don't have enough hours in the day." I wish I had a dime for everyone that has asked me for help with "Time Management."

The number one issue in 99% of those situations can be directly related to setting clear boundaries with those that are creating the distractions, and with those the create the demands in your personal and/or professional life, including yourself.

I bet there are a lot of situations where you've committed to something, and almost as soon as the word "yes" or "sure, I can do that," are out of your mouth, you had an immediate feeling of, at best, unease, and at worst a serious sense of overwhelm, stress, frustration and resentment at yourself and the person you just committed to.

If this happens to you I've created a little questionnaire to help you evaluate those areas where you need to begin setting better boundaries in your life. I used this in one of our recent AYPN Group Coaching Tele-Conferences and got great feedback that it was a valuable exercise, and I figured I should share it with everyone in the community, so here it is:
The questions in the worksheet are below, the actual worksheet in .pdf file to the FREE RESOURCES area of the TAG website, to access it directly go - here.

Questions for Setting Better Boundaries & Saying "NO":

1) What situations are you involved with, or personal interactions with others, do you notice drain your energy?How many of these do you wish you had more control over?
2) In order to be involved in the situations above, which drain your energy, what do you have to believe about…
a) The Situation
b) The Other Person (People) Involved
c) Yourself
3) In order to not be able to say “no” what is the fear behind that behavior?
4) Where do you need to start setting boundaries with yourself?

Here's a quote from one member of The Achievement Gym who actually used the above to make some different decisions to set better boundaries:

"I had several opportunities to set boundaries this week involving some volunteer projects. I made a conscious effort to make myself unavailable. It was difficult to do; however, the reaction was extremely positive. I now know that I can decline these requests at my discretion and the world will not stop, and people will not think less of me."

Steve Owens, Field Agent, Knights of Columbus InsuranceGarden Grove, CA
Good luck! Answer the questions above and let me know what realizations and breakthroughs come to you. I can be reached at Info@TheAchievementGym.com

You can subscribe to my newsletter by clicking here!