Monday, June 27, 2005

Find Your Passion to Create the Discipline Needed for Your Business Success

What a great time I had the last three days on my journey to Atlanta, Georgia to speak to a franchisees conference for the Town Planner Community Calendar publishers. This was a group with a varied background and various degrees of experience with their product and in the business world. But, they all had on thing in common, and that was a passion for their product.

In sitting down with a group of them I was so impressed by their belief in the quality of the product and the value their product provides to their customers. Just being around them made me feel excited and proud to be part of them. It’s something I hadn’t felt much of since I left baseball.

I’m writing about this because I believe one of the absolute keys to success is – passion. Passion instills belief, and the one key ingredient necessary for unlimited success, what Napoleon Hill, the author of “Think and Grow Rich,” called “definiteness of purpose.”

I guess I would define “definiteness of purpose” as an absolute belief that what you wanted was so totally right for you that nothing would get in your way. From the time I was 7 years old and walked into my first major league baseball stadium, I developed “definiteness of purpose” towards a career in professional baseball, and I was able to fulfill that purpose for 20 years.

It's important to understand that "passion" creates "purpose" and the combination of those two emotions develops into the final key ingredient for unlimited success, "persistence & perseverance."

Which leads into my philosophy about “discipline.” I hear many people comment that “they just aren’t ‘disciplined’ enough,” or that “they need to be more disciplined.” And most times its from people that just can't stay on track towards what they say are their most desired goals and outcomes.

I’d like to take it from another perspective. As I mentioned above, I believe "passion" creates "purpose" which allows for "persistence & perseverance," making the concept of ‘discipline’ totally obsolete and unnecessary.

Think about it. Notice a time in your life when you were totally passionate about something. Maybe it was a relationship, or maybe it was a hobby. Either way you probably pursued it with a focused purpose and you consistently took action towards it with persistence and perseverance, didn’t you? In those situations there was no need to stay ‘disciplined” was there? It was automatic, wasn’t it?

Find your passion, and make ‘discipline,’ a non-issue on your path to building your business. After spending a weekend with publishers of the Town Planner calendars, I have no doubt this approach will work for them.

Subscribe to my newsletter...click here!