Monday, March 27, 2006

The True Meaning of Achievement

I’ve been extremely fortunate to achieve many of the goals I set for myself early in my career. I went from a wide-eyed 7-year old dreaming of a career in professional baseball to a 22-year old intern helping to run one of minor league baseball’s most successful franchises to a 37-year old company President running one of minor league’s baseball most successful franchises.

At the age of 37, in my 18th season and looking back at my career I had been named “Executive of the Year”, one of my team’s won an “Organization of the Year” Award, I worked with many players that passed through my teams on the way to significant Major League Baseball careers, won a league championship, had equity ownership in the franchise and was earning a six figure salary. All of this while working in a game I once loved with all my heart and soul, but now was bored to tears and absolutely miserable and I knew it was time to move on.

At the end of my 20-years in baseball I came to realize that all of those things I achieved really didn’t matter on the surface. Sure, I had earned some money and was smart enough to put some away for a rainy day; I had earned some awards, and had the championship ring all sports figures strive for. But it really didn’t mean anything to me when I would be sitting alone late in the leftfield patio during the 7th inning stretch at a ballgame just wishing it would be over so I could get home before midnight, because I’d have to get up and do it all again in a few hours.

What I came to realize in looking back at those years was that it wasn’t what I had achieved that meant the most, but what I had become in the process of achieving those things.

What I had achieved were just mementos and souvenirs to enjoy in moments of reflection and appreciation, but what I had become was something I could use. I could use it to get to, and be successful in, the next phase of my personal and professional life.

What I had become was a confident, courageous, compassionate and focused business leader with a unique core of beliefs that I knew would allow me to be successful in whatever endeavor I chose for my next career. What I chose didn’t matter, because who I had become gave me the foundation for success. Those values, beliefs and skills were 100% transferable.

So, what I’ve learned on my journey to achievement in my 25-year professional career is that the true meaning of achievement isn’t what you achieve; it’s who you become on the journey. And, who you become on the journey creates a powerful identity that will propel you to even greater achievement.

Best wishes for achieving your greatest dreams, and, more importantly for becoming the person that will get you there.

NOTE: If you’d like an opportunity to create a powerful identity to propel you to even greater achievement, the Self-Study version of the Achieve Momentum NOW! Program will show you how to do that, where for 8-weeks you will work to create the focus, the emotions, and the qualities of your unique “momentum identity," with consistent weekly accountability throughout your enrollment in the program. For more information go to: www.AchieveMomentumNOW.com